permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Software suggestions for users of this list.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Software suggestions for users of this list.
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 13:26:30 +0100

For spam mail catching I'm using SpamAssassin
http://spamassassin.org/. Its catching about 30-40 spams
a day. Getting about one false positive a week but
letting through about 5 spams a day.

I use it on a linux account which filters the mail
before I need to download it to my home computer
through a dial up connection. Hence its saving me a lot
of time downloading spam messages.

I'm also using procmail to do a few other things.
1) Catch big messages > 50K
and saves them on in a folder
on my linux account. Many of these are
virus. A notification of the arrival of big
messages is sent to my home computer.
2) autoreply to the first message I receive
from a person.
3) Deletes audio/x-wav and audio/x-midi messages
(often viruses)
4) Implement a white list of people I know.
5) Implement a black list of persistent spammers.

Rich

p.s. out of interest how many spams are others on the
list receiving?
--
Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719