permaculture - Re: FW: [permaculture] Who's Qualified to Teach Pc?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: FW: [permaculture] Who's Qualified to Teach Pc?
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 17:22:40 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

> In the US, several teams are offering teacher training courses: ...
These are not designed to impart the entire curriculum to a new teacher
... rather to offer different methods of teaching, to
> prepare you for what you may encounter in the course, to help with the
> logistics, and to give experience in presenting.

This accounts for would-be teachers who have PDC-equivalent knowledge of
PC but not much (or no) teaching skills/experience.

I would like to encourage some attention to the the other side of this
spectrum - those with lots of (preferably holistic) teaching skills and
experience but not yet the PC knowledge and experience to carry the full
content of a PDC.

"Take a PDC and get some hands-on experience" is an obvious response. My
point is that if we create contexts that draw these sorts of people into
PDCs and internship/apprenticeship opportunities, we leverage their
existing teaching abilities. They're able to 'share surplus' sooner than
people who need time for both PC knowledge and experience *and*
instructional training/experience.

Likewise, they can mentor those with lots of PC knowledge/experience in
teaching skills, while simultaneously being mentored in PC content/praxis
by their teaching mentoree. Maximize feedback loops... ;-)

And for those that want to bureaucratize (quick, someone name a
'profession' without a bureaucracy ;-) all this, I would encourage
including efficient and flexible ways to recognize and credit teaching
skills/experience from other realms in the PC realm.

John Schinnerer, MA
- Eco-Living -
Cultural & Ecological Designing
People - Place - Learning - Integration