permaculture - RE: [permaculture] Scythes and similar devices - benefits

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] Scythes and similar devices - benefits
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 17:48:49 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

> The scythe in many instances much quicker than a linetrimmer/brushcutter
> - particularly when dealing with long grass - not much different in
> effort than using the modern motorized version.

Can be much different (better IMO) in the consequences, though -
especially when cutting stuff one *doesn't* want around.

Motorized weed-whackers are one of the most efficient ways I've ever seen
to spray viable plant matter pretty uncontrollably over a wide area. If
it's stuff I *don't* want to propagate...well, too bad!

I've never used a scythe, though I've seen them in use, and it looks like
they are a lot better in this respect...stuff falls pretty much where it's
cut...

John Schinnerer, MA
- Eco-Living -
Cultural & Ecological Designing