permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: Bioshelter and hottub idea

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "R Freeman" <helcreek@iinet.net.au>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: Bioshelter and hottub idea
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:34:30 +0800

Hi Josh,

1. Bath water.
When I was in Japan some time ago--where HOT tubs (around 43C or more) are a
way of life--I remember seeing an advertisement or a magazine article about
a device that could keep the water clean practically for ever.
The bath water was cycled through some kind of reaction chamber filled with
something (a porous ceramic substrate holding immobilized microorganisms or
some sort, I believe). The only catch seemed to be that, to keep the
organisms alive, the bath had to be constantly heated.
I have more water than fuel so I never looked further into the idea. No real
help, I know, but an idea you might be able to chase up.

2. Steam

If you are thinking of using your home boiler to create steam to run a
turbine or similar, remember the old adage "there's a stick of dynamite in
every gallon of water". In other words high pressure steam is DANGEROUS.
On the other hand, if you start from the other end with a proper boiler for
running a steamengine, you will have more hot water and excess heat than you
know what to do with--you could create an environment as tropical as you
like. (Depending on the boiler and the laws of your area, you will probably
need a boiler operators license.)
For an discussion on steam check out
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/goebel43.html