permaculture - Re: [permaculture]Hydrogen, wood, peace, justice

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture]Hydrogen, wood, peace, justice
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 09:02:00 EDT

In a message dated 6/19/2003 6:04:56 PM Eastern Standard Time, john@eco-living.net writes:
>Would you think that in the world of tomorrow there will be no people like
>him? Or do you think it's a market someone had better address on a more
>sustainable basis because if we don't, it'll be addressed on the usual
>wasteful and destructive basis.

I don't care how it's addressed - I don't think the whole scenario is
sustainable in any case.  I don't really care how long into the near
future it can be perpetuated by various slighty less wasteful but no less
dehumanizing technologies.

John--

I'm going to give up trying to convert you-- we're talking past each other. You are happy to live locally and let the rest of the world go by doing whatever it is that they do. I'm trying to effect realistic change out there in the world of other people. By that I don't mean the people on this list plus my next door neighbors-- I mean the other guys out there. The ones that are having such an adverse impact on the planet.

You mention that at times you're inclined to "just let them burn it all up". That'll teach them, all right, but in the mean time a lot of damage is going to be done. I'm working with people who would like to mitigate that damage through education, research and development before it happens. And I think that's also a worthwhile approach to life on earth-- especially in the times we live in.

Toby hasn't said much during this discussion, but I think he occupies the most knowledgable middle ground between John and I on the issue of how to come to terms with a world lifestyle based on squandered resources. So Toby, while I'm out West in the sagebrush country burning gasoline, please add to the discussion!

Finally, I notice I've been so hasty in responding to John I've sent a bunch of my messages straight to him rather than over the list. His messages to me make more sense if you see the context, so I'm posting a couple of old notes to follow this one.

Feel free to skip over all this stuff if it's starting to bore you. It looks like I'm hogging the list here.

Mike Elvin