permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Keeping your cool....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: robert waldrop <rmwj@soonernet.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Keeping your cool....
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 22:31:44 -0500

It does get hot here in the summer, July and August temperatures are
typically in excess of 100 degrees F, although last summer we only hit
100 degrees once. Everyone was amazed.

I have posted a little essay I have written on keeping cool in Oklahoma
to this list serve, which shows the strategies we use for our
situation: hot during the day, cooler at night (a definite temperature
differential), sometimes humid, sometimes not humid.

Each year we are more comfortable in the summer than the previous. I
attribute this to:

1. Each year we are better at the little details, knowing when to open
and when to close windows, etc.

2. Each year the vegetation outside provides more shade to our house.

3. Each year we make additional structural changes, such as ventilating
the attic, and working on our super insulation project.

There is a pretty interesting Australian site about passive solar
heating and cooling, which has suggestions and options for three
different climates.
http://www.greenhouse.gov.au/yourhome/technical/index.htm

It may have some further ideas for you. I hope this helps. I think
working on developing a cooler summer microclimate around your house is
one of the best bets, although dowsing yourself and others using a water
hose is more fun.

Robert Waldrop, OKC