permaculture - RE: [permaculture] Keeping your cool....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Johanna Huss Dowd" <johanna_dowd@earthlink.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] Keeping your cool....
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 18:24:10 -0400

Marsha wrote:
 >> think I already mentioned the car-less Sundays in Switzerland in the 80s and how wonderful and fun they were... <<

Wasn't that in the 70's during the first big energy crisis? I remember going bycicling on the Autobahn. There was recently a discussion in Switzerland to permanently establish carfree days but it did not pass the public vote. But you have to remember that even back in those days public transportation there was a lot better then it is in the most parts of the US, it reached virtually every corner of the country.  In the meantime the public transportation system has vastly improved. Some big citys are developping innovative concepts, I.e. car sharing/public transportation packages, bycicles you can rent at every train station and lots more.

Johanna (Swiss expat now living in rural NJ and really missing public transportaion)