permaculture - [permaculture] californian thistles and donkeys

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Janet Wyllie" <jwyllie@dcsi.net.au>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] californian thistles and donkeys
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 18:36:53 +1000

I have both here.  The donks eat off the flower buds of the thistles so they don't spread by seed, but they still spread by rhizome.  Collect all the donkey poo that you can over autum and the first month of winter and dump it on top of the patches.  I n spring, plant pumpkin seeds.  The donks don't eat pumpkin (or iris...but practically everything else) and the pumpkin vines outgrow the thistles and smother them to death.
Janet
Janet