permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Regional sustainable diets

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Colin Leath <cleath@j9k.org>
  • To: treaclemine@intranet.org
  • Cc: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Regional sustainable diets
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 22:14:40 -0400 (EDT)

For the US, near NYC,
The author of _This organic life_
http://www.google.com/search?&q=this%20organic%20life
Joan Dye Gussow

Is good to know about. That book is not a how to, but more
of a travelogue of her efforts (quite successful) to grow
all the produce that she eats each year.

Her main activism focus is the importance of eating locally
grown food and of supporting local growers.

She is a degreed nutritionist of some kind, and I be...
here's a short bio of her:
http://www.growbiointensive.org/newsletter/nutrition.html

You can search this list at:
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/permaculture/

And there's a lot of mentions of her name!

However- as you suggest, in some locations vegan diets
could never be locally-based.

here's some diet links I've collected in my web research,
mostly because of my trying to understand the _raw_ vegan
diet phenomenon: (though a search of the list shows
that this has already been discussed here.)

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/5957434.htm
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/local/5964380.htm
http://www.westonaprice.org/myths_truths/myths_truths_vegetarianism.html
http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/soy_update2002.html
http://www.rawhealth.net/jesusdiet.htm
http://www.eco-action.org/dt/wildup.html
http://www.geocities.com/becnalrio/possumliving.htm
http://www.beyondveg.com/cat/psych/. In particular, The
Psychology of Idealistic Diets....
http://www.rawpaleodiet.org/ RVAF means raw, vegetable and
animal foods

Colin
http://j9k.org

--------------------------

Greetings,

Does anyone know of any detailed analyses of what
would be modern, sustainable self-sufficient diets in
various rich regions of the world? For example, if the UK
decided to minimise the national food miles, and eat only
UK-grown food, grown sustainably, could we do it? Would we
have to become largely vegetarian or vegan to feed ourselves
- I believe that soy, most rice, and many pulses are not
suitable to grow in the UK, and if so, how would we replace
them in a vegan diet?

(BTW I'm sure we could make a case for continuing to
import small quantities of low volume, high added value
luxuries via sea freight, such as Fairtrade chocolate :-)

Thanks in advance for pointers!

Amanda in the UK