permaculture - [permaculture] Permie Vs. Bunker Guns

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Claude Genest <genest@together.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Permie Vs. Bunker Guns
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 01:08:50 -0400

I don't live in both but have had extensive conversations with neighbors that would readily be classified as "rednecks" ( and proud of it !)

I have been amazed at the points at which we unite:
- Hunters and Fishermen are avid environmentalists because they get this : Cleaner waters, better fish ; more conservation land, better hunting.

- In perusing one of their magazines " Soldier of Fortune" I was again struck by how these survivalists are often driven by a deep understanding of the unsustainability of our paradigm, the corruptness and ineptness of our gov't and the nefariousness of multi-nationals.

I guess the big difference is they see bad times a-coming as a result ( and therefore plan accordingly) whereas we tend to seethe glass as half full and plan according to that.

One is driven more by fear, the other more by hope....

I was hoping that there might be someone on this list who lives in both worlds and would be willing to let us know how they see the two together and if it is hard to be involved with a group that so often has contrary views on world affairs.

> ...I have heard the idea
> expressed that a lot of permies are more into the survivalist, pro-gun,
> the governments out to get us type of thing.

I'm curious as to whom you hear expressing this. I've not yet heard PC
misrepresented in this way...the usual misrep I hear is on the other end
(wherever that is... ;-) of the spectrum.

John Schinnerer, MA
-------------------------
- Eco-Living -
Cultural & Ecological Designing
People - Place - Learning - Integration
john@eco-living.net
http://eco-living.net

Best Regards,
Claude William Genest

www.greenmountainpermaculture.com
Green Mountain Permaculture: Solutions, Sustenance, Sustainability

"What Permaculturalists are doing is the most important work being done on the planet."
David Suzuki

"The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable living from a small piece of land."
Abraham Lincoln

"Clever men solve problems, wise men avoid them."
Albert Einstein

Listen up ! http://www.democracynow.org/