permaculture - [permaculture] Re: Web site of the month

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Charles Knoles <charles@growfood.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: Web site of the month
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 23:42:44 -0500

Yes I agree, the usual characterization of permies is that they are a bit spacey. Nevertheless I've talked to people who teach permaculture courses who have said that the Y2K scare was great for business because those type of people were taking a more realistic look at their stockpile of canned food. I've also met people at the midwest renewable energy fair (coming up soon mark your calenders) who DEFINITELY had bunkers in their homes and had some good conversations with them about Permaculture. Then when I see the backwoodshome.com website which really does have a lot of information that any permy would be interested in alongside articles on how to empower women through firearm training I wonder if there may be more crossover than we think.

I was hoping that there might be someone on this list who lives in both worlds and would be willing to let us know how they see the two together and if it is hard to be involved with a group that so often has contrary views on world affairs.

> ...I have heard the idea
> expressed that a lot of permies are more into the survivalist, pro-gun,
> the governments out to get us type of thing.

I'm curious as to whom you hear expressing this. I've not yet heard PC
misrepresented in this way...the usual misrep I hear is on the other end
(wherever that is... ;-) of the spectrum.

John Schinnerer, MA
- Eco-Living -
Cultural & Ecological Designing
People - Place - Learning - Integration