permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Help Chiken pen design

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "antonio.scotti" <antonio.scotti@wanadoo.es>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Help Chiken pen design
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 00:41:17 +0100

> antonio.scotti wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I need to design and implement a chicken pen for a permaculture design I
> > am taking
> > care of. Of course I have never dealt with chickens and even less with
> > chicken pens, so
> > I would basically avoid reinventing the wheel.
> > Does anyone know/have suggestions for a chicken pen design for
> > temperate/worm
> > climate, or any shared design already existing out there?
> > It would be nice to see a design of a pen with attached greenhouse.
> > Cheers
> > Antonio
>

> Start with a concrete slab with a good drain in the middle. Lay one course
> of
> concrete block, with opening for door. Build wooden building on the block
> wall.
> Attach greenhouse to building on its south side.
Why do I need to have a concrete floor? Isn't bare earth enough? Or is there
an issue of keeping the
poultry out of mud when it rains?

On the other hand, how big must the pen be? eg how much space is necessary
for each
chicken? Is there any dependence on the species?
If I understand it well, there must be two environments, a shelter and some
open space right?
how big is the shelter and how big the open space?
How can I get the eggs without entering the pen all the times?

> What part of Spain do you live in?
Wow!, where did I mention that I live in Spain? ... Anyway I live in
Barcelona,
not quite the land of Flamenco though.
Thanks and all the best
Antonio