permaculture - RE: [permaculture] Apricot trees

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kevin email" <ktopek@houston.rr.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] Apricot trees
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 19:04:45 -0600

Dear Jerome,

After a lengthy search, I have discovered I'm out of pits . Hopefully I will
be returning to Utah this summer and will collect more. I try to collect
from non-Asian tree varieties that were planted prior to 1932. I am hoping
there are genes in these trees that will allow for fruiting in Zone 9. We
shall see. When I have extra, I will send you some. Since you are closer
than me, you can try the old orchards in Capitol Reef National Park, UT. You
need to find a long-term ranger to point out the old trees, but you have no
chilling problems in Boulder, CO. There are plenty of Asian variety orchards
there and they fruit in June and July. It is best to call first to confirm
the fruiting period. Break a leg!

Kevin