permaculture - [permaculture] stop the release of PHARM crops

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: mbgrey <mbgrey@mnp.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] stop the release of PHARM crops
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 23:08:23 -0500

Title: stop the release of PHARM crops

Action alert and please forward...

Without public debate, food crops are being used to create genetically
engineered pharmaceutical drugs and industrial chemicals! It's called
"pharming."

Three hundred (300) open-air field trials have already been conducted in
unidentified locations across the country. While most of these substances
are kept secret as confidential business information, a few known examples
include a contraceptive, potent growth hormones, blood thinners, industrial
enzymes, and vaccines.
The ecological implications of hacked genetic code slipping into our food
and forests and multiplying is worse than a bad computer virus!

CONTACT THE FDA AND YOUR ELECTED OFFICIALS
(* see sample messages)

* SAMPLE LETTER TO FDA:
(FDA DEADLINE:  Jan 10, 2003.)

Food and Drug Administration
Dockets Management Branch (HFA-305)
5600 Fishers Lane, Rm 1061
Rockville, MD 20852

Re: Docket No. 02D-0324

I am writing to express my profound concern over the policy that allows
food crops to be used to create genetically engineered pharmaceutical drugs
and industrial chemicals.

There must be a total ban on open-field testing of all transgenic "pharm"
crops.
Pharm production should take place only within totally enclosed facilities
with high security, and only if pollen spread can be prevented.

If grown at all,
* Licenses to bioengineer common food or feed crops for pharmacologic
production should not be granted.
* All guidances should be mandatory, not "strongly recommended."
* No permits should be granted until there is a requirement that the
biotechnology industry assumes all liability for
potential losses to farmers, human health, and the environment.
* There should be no "confidential business information" exclusions
involving any transgenic crops grown experimentally or commercially.

Thank you for your attention,
(your name, address and date)

* SAMPLE MESSAGE TO ELECTED OFFICIAL:

Dear Honorable...
I am writing to express my profound concern over the policy that allows
food crops to be used to create genetically engineered pharmaceutical drugs
and industrial chemicals.
I don't want pharm crops ending up in the food I feel my family!
I urge you to mandate a moratorium on the outdoor release of all transgenic
"pharm" crops.

Address letters to:
Senate: Washington, D.C.  20510
U.S. House of Representatives: Washington, D.C.  20515
or email via:
Senators - http://www.senate.gov/contacting/index.cfm
House of Representative - http://www.house.gov/writerep
or call:
US Capitol Switchboard - (202) 224-3121

Laurel Hopwood, Sierra Club Genetic Engineering Committee member
http://www.sierraclub.org/biotech/