permaculture - Re: [permaculture] 1/2 v trencher, moldboard plowm trenches

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] 1/2 v trencher, moldboard plowm trenches
  • Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 23:55:19 -0800

johnny gregory wrote:
Frank and others,

I'll have to look at my 1/2 v trencher and see if its mfr. put a stamp
or plate on it. It was used and I don't remember any insignia. When I'm at
the farm I'll look for you. The plow idea is possible, too.

I was going to comment on your trenching scheme a while ago. Scott is right
about using
a tillage tool to cut drainage channels along slopes to direct water to areas
normally missed during rainfall. Maybe a 1/2 V trencher would be useful in
channeling water
to areas where it is needed that otherwise would be dry. The discussion on
using swales and
berms to do this works very well also. Maybe a mixture of several methods
would be the most effective.
One device that was not mentioned is the one row hilling discs implement, a 3
point hitch tillage tool.
Tillage in and of itself will help terrain to absorb and hold water so I
would suggest plowing
and maybe harrowing (or the reverse). You could follow this (or skip the
previous the previous step)
with hilling discs. This will create deep furrows with a high, wide hill
between, probably deeper than
what you could achieve with the V tool but not as deep as a moldboard bottom
plow. You could use this to
channel water to your trees though a better use would be to channel it toward
a berm or swale. In this instance
hilling should be used judiciously to carefully direct water to areas where
it can be absorbed. Too much hilling
and too little planning on how to make it go where you want and stay put
without undo erosion will result in overall
loss of water to your fields and a lot of erosion. Hilling discs are good for
channeling water, creating swales
and creating raised garden beds. I have a one row hiller and recently bought
a 7' toolbar, with connects for 3 point
hitch, to transfer the discs to so that I can hill up a really wide raised
bed, ready to plant.
Another implement that you could use is the Yeomans Keylline Plow System. You
can buy the points, shanks and other
attachments from Market Farm Implement in Pennsylvania. See this document for
more info:
http://market-farming.com/tractor-tillage-equipment+methods.txt
(and for a gardening handtool sourcelist:
http://market-farming.com/gardening-hand-tools.faq)

Frank should consider getting the Keyline System and a one row hilling discs
implement; with those two tools
he could manage fields and pastures and work garden and orchard space.
--
L.F.London
lfl@intrex.net