permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Tomato supports

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "len organicpc" <gardenlen@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Tomato supports
  • Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 01:21:51 +1000

g'day steven,

i'm just north of gympie.

i use 2 meter long 1" garden stakes in conjunction with a bamboo stake (yellow) app 5 foot long. i also prune my tomatoes to around 4 or 5 stems. it takes 2 stakes and 1 bamboo per plant. using sisal/hemp twine tied loosly around the base of the plant we weave the twine up around each stem and tie it to the bamboo which is the top piece tied between the 2 stakes. tghe garden stakes are driven into the ground (just deep enough to do the job) either side of the plant. we do this as soon as the plants start to get leggy enough then just keep training the vine around the twine as the plant grows.

i could take a pic and send you if need be.

len

--
it works for me it could work for you

"in the end ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do!!"
but consider others and the environment.
http://hub.dataline.net.au/~gardnlen/