permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Jails and PC

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <eco_living@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Jails and PC
  • Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 22:13:13 -0800 (PST)

Aloha,

A community development corporation in East Palo Alto, CA (the 'rough
side' of an otherwise very white upscale area) had some great results
from getting people on the edges of incarceration (just out, or just
about to end up in) involved in community gardening projects.

One of the consistently effective people-care (transformative)
processes I have experience with originated in working with prisoners,
then spread elsewhere. We call it "game group," though I don't know if
that's the original name. Like the fact of being incarcerated, and the
opportunity to nurture living growing plants, it offers opportunities
to cut through our own BS.

=====
John Schinnerer, MA