permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: PCPlantDB

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: PCPlantDB
  • Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 03:34:46 -0700

John Schinnerer wrote:
Aloha,

I propose that we use this as a staging area to collect data that
you, the PFAF staff and others
eventually put into the PCPlantDB. Heidi and her SOUL group could
follow the same procedure.

Basic rule of programming - DRY (Don't Repeat Yourself) - applies to
data entry too.

I'm sure this is good advice but it will take a while for PFAF's
new database, the PC Wiki's PHP/MySQL database or your OOP DB.
We need something to use right now and the Wiki is up and running
and has everything we need to store information in an intelligent manner.

Put it in a 'real' DB (some SQL flavor) *once*. Then it can be
relatively easily extracted into wikis and whatever other front ends
people want to create.

Good idea. So which platform are you interested in working on?
In the meantime I plan to stuff the PC Wiki with all sorts of material
I hope will be of interest to folks in the list.

LL
--
L.F.London
lfl@intrex.net