permaculture - Re: [permaculture] PCPlantDB mailing lists

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] PCPlantDB mailing lists
  • Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 03:17:07 -0700

John Schinnerer wrote:

Certainly it is, John. You are truly mistaken contending that a Wiki
cannot allow development and deployment of a serious permaculture plant database.
Have you looked at Wiki's? We have talked about creating a PHP/MySQL
PC Plant DB where the SQL back end would be (might be) integrated
into the PHPWiki PC Wiki. I think this may be possible.

Yeah, that's possible. I meant that a wiki itself, without some kind
of strong DB back-end to hook into, is a poor choice for database apps.

You mean _relational database_. OK it is/can be a very fancy hyperlinked
"database" or info base. Still it offers powerful features that hardly
anything else does,
at least within the reach of non-professionals on a budget. Its better than
no DB
for those of us in the list who want to roll our own and don't have the time
or skills
to create a RDB.

If it isn't then the Wiki can host a
simple flat file PC Plant DB using lots of interlinked wiki pages.
We've already started on this. Maybe you'd like to contribute.

I'd like to see how you're doing it. Can't (yet ;-) envision a
powerful search/reference DB created from a bunch of interlinked wiki
pages. Is there a public URL for what's been done so far?

http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/pcwiki/index.php

It is in its infancy but shows great promise. I am learning how to hack a
little code
and install new PHPWiki versions in situ. Anyway we have lots of resources
and tools at our
disposal to get the job done, including file uploads into the wiki and ftp
uploads for
those wanting to use that method.

If this has been discussed/announced on the PCPlantDB list, then I've
somehow fallen off that list, as I've gotten no mail from it for months
and months.

I'd be up for contributing my QA/test skills. I'm not interested in
doing dev work with PHP/MySQL. Object publishing is the future... ;-)

Have at it.

LL
--
L.F.London