permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: big ag in Pc/PC Charette

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: FranksFarm@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: big ag in Pc/PC Charette
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 08:24:53 EDT

Good day:)
In a message dated 9/3/02 10:20:56 AM, steved@ncatark.uark.edu writes:

<< The limiting factor to adoption of techniques is time, finances,
and resources (equipment, labor, products), and market
forces. These items are the major constraints to economically
and ecologically viable farms and homesteads.

Right on, but these on major obstacles! I guess the proven techniques I'm
looking for are those that take the above into consideration:)

Broadstroke concepts like composting,cover crops,windbreaks,soil improvement
etc,etc. are easily grasped, and espoused by many. There's so many of these
things that I'd like to do:) but there are not enough days in the week.

In promulgating the techniques there is often little detail on actual
costs,labor requirements, cost effectiveness, machinery needed, purchase
recommendations/advice, seed varieties, stock variety etc. especially on a
regional basis.

Often the techniques given are quite generic, and they really need to somehow
be adapted to bio-region,state or even some other classification system.

The true complexity of the subjects can lead to confusion.

There are also a lot of "factoids" thrown about that somehow have become a
part of the literature without much scientific documentation.

<<Permaculture does something else, in my mind. It draws
a relationship between elements and components and
techniques and concepts and ecology to create some
form of synergy. Ultimately, there are two primary benefits
of permaculture. One, a small ecological foot and therefore
little impact on worldwide resource consumption and
pollution. Two, the farm or homestead itself is more
energy efficient, enjoyable, beautiful, synergetic, ecologically
integrated, and productive.>>

Well said , Steve.

I'm trying to do just that. But without a large labor resource, or lots of
$$$ it takes far longer than I'd like :) Some will take years to implement.
It's not like I can simply allot time to any particular project...my daily
chores often preclude same. So everything always seems to be on the
backburner, or worked on only now and then. I envy those who can simply dive
in, and begin improvements on their relatively small plots.

<<He suggested that you
host a weekend PC workshop and/or PC Design Charette.

You really need this kind of group interaction, and especially
if you can bring in a PC teacher such as our PC Activist friends
in North Carolina or some other teachers in the Eastern U.S.>>

Great idea, Steve. I'd love to host a weekend PC workshop, or a Design
Charette.
I think it would be very inspiring, and a chance to help develop a PC model
for the area.
Since I already espouse PC, sustainable Ag, I'm much more willing to
implement same on my farm.

Anyone out there interested? Don't be shy:) Often such queries garner few
Here's a great opportunity to help create a PC model farm and enjoy a bit of
a vacation.

All the best. Frank

  • Re: [permaculture] Re: big ag in Pc/PC Charette, FranksFarm, 09/04/2002