permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Diff. between wikis and websites

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lfl@intrex.net
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Diff. between wikis and websites
  • Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 03:13:36 -0700

Russ + Fiona... PacificEdge wrote:

While it makes websites more participatory I doubt whether it is as
participatory as wiki.

True. And wiki has plugins: usage countter, file uploads, full text searches,
fuzzy searches,
calendar, can save a .zip of all wiki pages to burn onto CD for distribution
and much more.

Even on wiki would there not remain the issue of reusing someone's posting
as it is automatically granted copyright when it is produced? A way around
this would be to set out an agreement by which participants can use and
build on the work of others and make it available under a general public
licence (GPL), much as is Linux software.

GPL would do the trick if folks wanted a formal agreement.

The issue of copyright could be avoided for groups who agree to have it that
way;
they could make the group's work available for public consumption, i.e.
ground rule for
that part of the wiki: you forego your copyright; the concept Open
Permaculture was suggested
as a copyleft name. Other parts of the wiki can be configured and passworded
to ensure individual
ownership of content. Wiki names could include: Open Permaculture Wiki, Open
Permaculture Wikipedia,
Open Permawiki, and so on.

Wiki's work for a group when all participants trust each other; group
decisions,
consensus can be arrived at regarding content and when entries should be left
unchanged;
individuals can work on special projects with group understanding that the
work be unchanged -
these sorts of entries are properly marked and obvious to browsers. Access to
areas can be
password protected too if needed. Its all a matter of trust, common sense,
familiarity
with the content in question and group agreement.

I think wikpeodia might be doing this and there is the OpenCola recipe which
is in the public domain under such a licence. New Scientist magazine, a
couple months ago, published an article under this licence and made it
available for distribution outside of copyright. This type of open
publishing is being called 'copyleft'.

Were there the energy, I would like to propose a permaculture designer's
manual published as an ongoing, online work under GPL.

That is a great idea. I was hoping a permaculture wiki would include an
outline and perhaps
a syllabus for a PDC and as you suggest a designers manual. I have some ideas
how, as information is
loaded into the wiki, some of it is "tagged" and maybe hyperlinked as M4DM
(material to be included
someday in a designers manual). Periodic searches of the wiki for this tag
"m4dm" would reveal all
material destined for possible inclusion in a DM. This technique could be
used to organize and collate
information on a variety of subjects.

LL

--