permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: ATTRA/PUmp

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: FranksFarm@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: ATTRA/PUmp
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 08:46:18 EDT

Good day:)

In a message dated 9/3/02 10:52:59 AM, steved@ncatark.uark.edu writes:

<< When I say we are a nonprofit organization and not
a government agency, I assume people understand
there are vast differences between these two sectors. >>

Thanks for the clarification Steve.

I was well aware that ATTRA was funded(totally?) by the government. In fact I
wrote quite a few letters on your behalf to my State Senators urging
additional funding!

So I did not realize that you were so independent.

ATTRA does a wonderful job. It's one of the best resources for folks like me.
And I read much of what you put out,and have been positively influenced by
same.

Often lists of manufacturers with contacts etc. are given, which are quite
helpful. But such doesn't really help me make a decision. If a list like ours
had some sort of consensus on best products that would be good enough for me
to act on without having to spend time calling manufacturers, etc., to
discover details. Even if I did some of the machines are beyond my ken:)

For example I'm trying to find a well built, low maintenance electric suction
pump for pumping water from a year round creek that is generally only 1-3'
deep, but that can swell rapidly with heavy rains. System will be used to
water cattle via some sort of float tank...so that water will be available in
most paddocks within 500' or so.

Creek surface is about 10' below pump location. I'm using 1" CTS black coil
pipe that is used for potable water systems. The longest distance from the
pump is 1900'. Total system is over 4500'.There are 8 hydrants, and 7 splices.

Most area stores do not carry Pumps over 1.5HP. Some can only special order(
Lowe's etc) at higher price.

Lots of pump manufacturer's. Few consumer reports. And lot's of jargon.

Anyone on the list familiar with same that could give me recommendation? An
outfit on the Internet Pump.Biz suggested a 2HP electric pump by Munro...that
will cost about $600 or so including hose,fittings etc.

Thanks,Frank

  • Re: [permaculture] Re: ATTRA/PUmp, FranksFarm, 09/04/2002