permaculture - [permaculture] OT - Rome

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] OT - Rome
  • Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 16:00:32 -0500

However, I do not believe like many others that we repeat ourselves either:
the agricultural situation in the later Roman Empire and the current
situation in much of the West is the same but different, in the same way
that Heracleitos spoke of never stepping into the same river twice. History
is illustrative and thus helpful for perhaps understanding our position from
another angle.
Jamie
Souscayrous

Whats far more worrying to me is the US acting like Imperial Rome in both it's domestic and foreign politics. This Iraq madness smells of arrogance and global war. I remember a few days after 9/11 while driving to work I had a visceral surge of patriotism and love of country. Scared the hell out of me. I had consciously been rejecting cynical thinking and pity wallowing for months at that point, and had started warming up to old uncle sam again as I mellowed out a little, but this was just overwhelming. And scary because I knew if I felt this way, my rah rah jingoistic fellow citizens had to be having similar moments. Of course our blood thirsty president and his hawkish minions have tapped into this big time and now we charge toward disaster. Hard to maintain ones optimism in such times, an apeciation of geologic time helps....

Mark P. Ludwig
Poultry Research Lab
University of Wisconsin -Madison
608-262-1730 WK