permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: Personal Sustainability

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Xavier Dequaire <xavier@futurich.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: Personal Sustainability
  • Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 22:37:25 +0200

Nice tools to explore sustainability with are Ecological Footprints.

Have a look for example at
http://www.earthday.org/footprint/

As you seem to be american, you might also explore
http://www.SustainablePittsburgh.org/SWPAIndicators/
the report my be providing interesting prospects.

Sustainably yours

Xavier in Norway

lfl@intrex.net wrote:

> On 11 Aug 2002 09:13:13 -0700, in alt.permaculture
> tbag.markow@verizon.net (Ted Markow) wrote:
>
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm new to this group, so if I ask questions that have been asked
> before, please bear with me.
>
> A little intro: I live in Brunswick, Maine, USA. Brunswick is near
> the coast about 25 miles north of the city of Portland (Maine, that
> is). I've had an organic garden going for the last 7 or 8 years, with
> varying degrees of success (this season is one of my worst). I also
> live in a smallish town in a quiet little suburb.
>
> This gets me to my question about personal sustainability: What is
> personal sustainability (is it measurable?) and can it be done in
> urban and suburban areas? Given that almost 80 percent of the US
> population lives in sub/urban areas (according to
> www.demographia.com/db-uland2000.htm), I would think it behooves us to
> learn how to live as lightly and sustainably as possible, right where
> we are. After all, we can't all move out to rural areas or they'd
> cease being rural areas!
>
> This is as far as I'll go right now, as I'm sure that what I'm asking
> is no small question, and the answer is probably subjective. However,
> for my own education and progress towards sustainablility, I have to
> start somewhere.
>
> BTW, I know that permaculture's focus is on more than just food
> production - that's why I'm asking this group. Although food is key,
> I think we can at least agree that it isn't the only component in our
> lives. There are other areas (water, shelter, communication,
> transportation, community, etc.) that are necessary to all of us in
> some form or another.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions or words of wisdom -- I'm
> prepared to go to school.
>
> Ted

_____________________________________
For bedre kommunikasjon og læring:
For en bærekraftig samfunn
XDi, X a v i e r D E Q U A I R E i n t e r a k t i v
phone: (+47) 66 84 79 83
CBT/Multimedia---anvendt e-learning-

Do you wonder what your lifestyle implies for our common planet?
Explore that at http://www.earthday.org/footprint/

Homesite http://www.futurich.com/