permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Pasture Renovation and Fertility/Pond Clean Up

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lfl@intrex.net
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Pasture Renovation and Fertility/Pond Clean Up
  • Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 10:42:53 -0700

FranksFarm@aol.com wrote:
Good day all:)

In a message dated 8/19/02 12:03:21 AM, lfl@intrex.net writes:

<< For small ponds or pools or constructed wetlands they are ideal, though not cold hardy in US zone 7 without protection >>

Larry..what plants would you recommend for Zone 6? I'm trying to create a thriving pond community that would include (eventually) a variety of fish, plants, poultry, etc.

Water hyacinth will not survive zone 6 wintere, zone 7 either. Don't know about azolla (duckweed) but possibly - it is a nitrogen fixer,
has a N2-fixing bacteria living symbiotically within the folds of its leaves - anacharis (maybe this is cabomba) will root on the bottom
in shallows and absorb/recycle nutrients - as it does not float freely would be difficult to harvest. Carp will eat plants and algae - grass carp are commonly introduced to clean up pondweed - there may be a problem with their eating the fry of other introduced fish so they alone survive. To absorb nutrients from manure and other organic residues flowing into the pond I would develop a broad shallows area along the banks extending gradually into deeper water. In this area I would introduce a wide array of hardy aquatic plants from cattails to grasses
(you could grow rice!), this estuarine zone would be capable of providing habitat for insects, fish and amphibians and would create food sources for other non-aquatic species. Over time the ecology of this area would stablize and your pond water would begin to clear and stay that way. Another way to deal with manure-rich slurry washing into the pond and becoming a regular problem would be to create a pre-catchment
area for this material, namely deep, wide, partially below-existing grade swales. A variety of weeds and introduced plants would ebb and flow in a fight for survival in this environment as water levels change.
Willows, river birches and other trees, shrubs and plants could be planted within this zone to utilize the nutrients constantly flowing into this zone. The overflow would go into the shallows of your pond
and be further absorbed and cleaned by plants and marine organisms.
Darren has talked about building ponds with crenelated edges. That feature could be added to and would further enhance any benefits derives from the schemes I have described.

Get out the backhoe-loader and tractor equipped with a good, adjustable blade or better yet, a Gill Rollover. Cut drainage channels and build swales, carve the edges of the pond with a narrow bucket on the backhoe.

If you've gotten this far maybe you'e getting some ideas of your own.

How about some pix of your place -is your website still online?

LL

We had geese and ducks...and enjoyed them a lot. But when the ponds froze the coyotes got them. Any ideas how to protect them without putting up elaborate, ugly fencing or spending too many $$$? Again..my goal is to have them forage and take care of themselves while earning their keep:)

--
lfl@intrex.net
http://market-farming.com