permaculture - [permaculture] [Fwd: Personal Sustainability

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lfl@intrex.net
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] [Fwd: Personal Sustainability
  • Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 21:19:22 -0700

On 11 Aug 2002 09:13:13 -0700, in alt.permaculture
tbag.markow@verizon.net (Ted Markow) wrote:

Hi folks,

I'm new to this group, so if I ask questions that have been asked
before, please bear with me.

A little intro: I live in Brunswick, Maine, USA. Brunswick is near
the coast about 25 miles north of the city of Portland (Maine, that
is). I've had an organic garden going for the last 7 or 8 years, with
varying degrees of success (this season is one of my worst). I also
live in a smallish town in a quiet little suburb.

This gets me to my question about personal sustainability: What is
personal sustainability (is it measurable?) and can it be done in
urban and suburban areas? Given that almost 80 percent of the US
population lives in sub/urban areas (according to
www.demographia.com/db-uland2000.htm), I would think it behooves us to
learn how to live as lightly and sustainably as possible, right where
we are. After all, we can't all move out to rural areas or they'd
cease being rural areas!

This is as far as I'll go right now, as I'm sure that what I'm asking
is no small question, and the answer is probably subjective. However,
for my own education and progress towards sustainablility, I have to
start somewhere.

BTW, I know that permaculture's focus is on more than just food
production - that's why I'm asking this group. Although food is key,
I think we can at least agree that it isn't the only component in our
lives. There are other areas (water, shelter, communication,
transportation, community, etc.) that are necessary to all of us in
some form or another.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or words of wisdom -- I'm
prepared to go to school.

Ted