permaculture - Re: [permaculture] pond aerators

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <permed@nor.com.au>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] pond aerators
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 02 11:35:45 -0000

>G,Day Robin; everybody:)
>In a message dated 8/13/02 7:11:34 PM, permed@nor.com.au writes:
>
><< A healthy pond will support a nice stock of fish for home
>consumption with no extra input at the natural stocking rate of the water
>body - rule of thumb is 1 kg of fish for every 15m of linear edge (drives
>the food chain) and 15 square m of surface area (oxygen for fish to
>breath). >>
>
>Hmmm...my concern is that the pond may not be healthy. The water is quite
>turbid, fills only with surface water, is fairly stagnant, and used by
>cattle. Seem to a good number of frogs, and a blue heron can normally be
>seen
>at certain times...normally when cattle etc. are elsewhere:)

My ponds are only surface run-off, stagnant, low turbidity and productive
- main difference with yours is cattle. with cattle excluded, appropriate
water plants and edge vegetation you should see water quality improve.
Frogs are a good indicator - they're very sensitive critters to
environmental pollution.

>The pond is a half acre + with 600'or so of linear edge. IF the pond were
>healthy how many fish would that support?
600'= approx 200m thus approx 13 kg of fish or around 25-30 x 1lb fish
half acre = 2000m2 so oxygen exchange could potentially support 10 times
the fish stock

My main dam is nearly 1 acre surface area, stocked with 50 fish and no
extra feed or aeration.
Hope this has helped
Robyn