permaculture - Re: [permaculture] gabions

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: FranksFarm@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org, FranksFarm@aol.com
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] gabions
  • Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 07:43:45 EDT

Good day:)

In a message dated 7/31/02 11:53:25 AM, genest@together.net writes:

<< Where the water runs, make it walk - you slow it down by "draining" it
along contour, nice and easy - where it spills, you have it do so in a thin
wide sheet, like water cascading out of an overfull bathtub - and remember,
even if you do any of this imperfectly, you're still miles ahead of where
you started from, which is an unmitigated disaster..... >>

I sure do agree with the above:) But need some details to fully understand
your comments.

First, how do you suggest draining along a contour? Do you mean I should
start piling up debris/brush , etc., in some sort of "S" curve down the face
of the slope. In effect creating brush ridges. Won't the force of the water
break some of these up creating more run off ditches, where the water rushes
down the relatively steep slopes?

Also I'm talking about 100O's of feet on the ground. I can do a little each
year...but it sure seems overwhelming since there are so many projects on the
farm that need doing that are also worthwhile long term goals.

The one thing about the move from the city that I severely
underestimated....is how much labor is involved in moving materials, soil,
hay etc. etc.

About a month ago there were flash floods down here that swelled Goose Creek
so quickly that it overflowed it's banks along my property. This destroyed
over 1500' of newly constructed fence, and deposited tons of debris including
down trees over 3' in diameter. Much of the fencing is covered with straw,
twigs, branches etc.

I've already spent 4 full days just gathering, and burning some of it. Looks
like I hardly did anything! And I haven't even started to move the big stuff,
which will take a tractor, and heavy chain. If it were somehow miraculously
spread over the field as a light mulch I'm sure it would be quite beneficial
as much of the woody material is rotted, and decomposing. Even if I had a
chipper , which I don't the time, and expense to run the machine, and spread
the stuff would be substantial.

A dump truck would sure come in handy for moving stuff like this to fill in
low spots etc.
But again I don't have one:) And being a newcomer, a "furiner" down here
makes it even tougher to get someone with one to do the work on any sort of
schedule.

I'm really into sustainable, organic farming using PC principles etc. to
transform this farm into a viable, attractive model for same. The farm has
lots of natural resources, much wildlife, over a mile of beautiful creek so
pure it is state stocked with trout. Over 300 acres of mixed hardwood forest,
cattle etc.. I have used no chemicals or pesticides since I purchased the
farm 4 years ago.

But the time, and labor required for a farm of this size(450 acres), and the
detailed expertise you need make such tasks formidable unless you have a lot
of money to burn.

Say...if any of you are interested in REALLY doing PC, or helping design an
ECO Village based upon PC please let me know. Great opportunity to help
preserve such a place, and to heal a little piece of this good Earth. I've
even got an 1800 square foot caretaker house as a base.

If interested please contact me off-line at gcreekfarm@aol.com.

Sorry for drifting...but this is something I believe in, and am trying to
find the right people to make it happen.

Thanks, again. Frank