permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Material for raised bed

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg@igg.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Material for raised bed
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 19:26:27 -0400

I used to go nuts (and broke!) hunting for the perfect toxin-free planks to make raised beds. Nowadays, I just raise beds up with spade and fork and use them unframed. Unless you have a need to have a physical barrier around the bed, you can get all the benefits of a raised bed by simply digging it properly. I got my insights on this while reading a book on vegetable production in China. John Jeavon's books also give directions on how to make non-eroding raised beds without the use of wood, stone or plastic frames.

_Allan Balliett