permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Material for raised bed

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Heide Hermary <heidehermary@pacificcoast.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Material for raised bed
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 12:03:46 -0700

The copper compounds used in wood treatment are also highly toxic and about
to be
withdrawn from the market.
I have been told that charring the wood plank on the soil side increases its
life
span in the soil. I heard this in connection with the use of western red
cedar,
which resists decay as long as it is not in direct soil contact. Does anybody
have experience with this?
Heide