permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Hand Powered Mulcher?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Claude Genest <genest@together.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Hand Powered Mulcher?
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 21:06:13 -0400

Title: Re: [permaculture] Hand Powered Mulcher?
Depending on the scale of it all, you can go a long way with a machete

From: Greg Peterson <Greg@permaculture.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 07:37:27 -0700
To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: [permaculture] Hand Powered Mulcher?

Hi all,

Greg here from the Urban Farm in Phoenix.  http://www.urbanoasis.permaculture.net/

We are in an urban setting and have little to no space to store brush until nature breaks it down. So, I have started dreaming about the possibility of a hand cranked mulcher.  Something that would grind up the stuff that is too large for composting and wanted to check if anyone has any ideas about:

1.  Some nonmechanical way to deal with medium sized brush in our urban setting, or

2.  Does someone know of either plans for or a hand cranked mulcher.

The alternative is to send my pile of brush off to the dump via a city truck or fire up a gas powered mulcher and grind it up.  Neither solution do I like.

Any input would be appreciated.

Greg and the Urban Farm team.