permaculture - RE: [permaculture] Hand Powered Mulcher?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Stephen Barrow" <barrow@telkomsa.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] Hand Powered Mulcher?
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 20:33:06 +0200

Title: Hand Powered Mulcher?
Greg and the Urban Farm team,

The Henry Double Day Research Association had a series on urban shredders and mulchers etc in the early 1990's, which included designs from various people.  I seem to remember that they published a book on the subject which may be available.

Can you find an old chaff cutter, one with a large, cast-iron, wheel which acts as a fly-wheel?  That is the closest and most effective machine which I have seen which can maybe suit your requirements.

Stephen Barrow