permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Broadminded thinking?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Foss _" <old_growth@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Broadminded thinking?
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 16:39:20 +0000

I've tried sheet mulching works well with just about everything except, Canadian thistle and quack.

I've seen rotations of oats/a rye, clover, and p rye to sufficate out the two. This usually takes up 3 years though.

Where I see quack as major problem in my fields is in lower areas where water sometimes sit and soils are more compacted.

Currently I'm trying to work with quack, letting my living "sheet" mulch and constant mowing deal with the issue. I'm hoping a good stand of Dutch white will break up the soils enough to outcompete the quack. Also trying some stands of sorghem/sudans and sweet clover, both with excellent root mass, in the beds.

Heard one good use for quack, dried and ground into paste with yeast and flour. Made into pellets for slug food, poison slug food. Something in tht quack.

Jeff