permaculture - RE: [permaculture] casuarina/ironwood

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Scott Hitchins" <ScottH@wcig.org.au>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] casuarina/ironwood
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 09:38:29 +1100

I use a similar recipe for cucumbers, zucchini, roses etc. I also add other
silica-rich plants such as borage (nettles and horsetail are also supposed to
be good). Into the pot also goes chamomile (anti-fungal), seaweed or seaweed
emulsion (for the mineral content) and onion, garlic and chilli to repel the
sap-suckers and leaf chewers. A splash of fish-waste emulsion, animal poo or
'blood and bone' round it off into a good all-round tonic that, when diluted
as Robyn suggests, can be sprayed onto pretty much anything ( on a cloudy day
or in the cool of the morning to avoid sunburning the leaves).

Scott Hitchins
scotth@wcig.org.au