permaculture - RE: [permaculture] casuarina/ironwood

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Scott Hitchins" <ScottH@wcig.org.au>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] casuarina/ironwood
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 09:02:23 +1100

Dry or green doesn't seem to matter, although I would suppose if they'd been
decomposing for too long, they'd be losses back into the topsoil, which is
fine if they are in the right place already. The chemicals that casuarinas
produce are a root-exudate: I'm not aware of them being present in the
'leaves'. Of course, the silica would have to present in the subsoil already:
The casuarinas simply concentrate it somewhat and bring it back up to an
accessible level.

Scott Hitchins
scotth@wcig.org.au