permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Worms

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Jerome Osentowski" <jerome@crmpi.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Worms
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 08:19:34 -0700

Su, I use regular garden lime in the hen house before I put down the straw
bedding. This takes care of the lice, This needs to be done a couple times
during the warm season. This stwaw is then used as a mulch, over a layer
of more carbon mulch, since it has some chicken manure. This and the pond
water makes the carbon layer more attactive for the worms, and they move in
to eat it up faster. The lime has minerals, and will increase ph. We use
gypsum here to move the ph down the scale. The lime cuts the body of the
lice , a machanical kill. Would the lime work on the kids? Maybe.
-jerome-
Jerome Osentowski, Director
Central Rocky Mountain Permaculture Institute
PO Box 631
Basalt, CO 81621 U.S.A.

Tel/fax (970) 927-4158 E mail: jerome@crmpi.org

For more information, please visit our web site at <<www.crmpi.org>>