permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Brake Fern (pteris vittata) removes arsenic from soil

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <eco_living@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Brake Fern (pteris vittata) removes arsenic from soil
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 22:44:01 -0800 (PST)

Aloha,

> Agreed, but the article said the plant occured naturally in the wild;
> therefore it cannot be patented.

I hear ya Lawrence, but it's been happening for years now - "biopiracy"
patenting of native medicinals in the Amazon for the profit of
mulitnational pharmaceuticals, a man having a bit of his biology
patented *by someone else* for medical industry profit he gets none of,
etc. etc. ad nauseum.

I agree it's immoral, unethical, outrageous, absurd and definitely one
of those "unjust laws" that someone or other whose name escapes me at
the moment said need to be defied for the good of humanity (and all the
rest too). I will be doing my part, have no fear - as you say,

> ...Grow it anyway, give it away or sell it. Defy the greedy
> self-serving pigs.

=====
John Schinnerer, MA