permaculture - Re: [PermacultureUK] - NOT SEEING THE WOOD FROM THE TREES

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Pacific Edge Permaculture + Media <pacedge@magna.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [PermacultureUK] - NOT SEEING THE WOOD FROM THE TREES
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 14:32:10 +1100

> From: "Graham Burnett" <gb0063551@cableinet.co.uk> Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002
> 15:29:55 -0000 Subject: Fw: [PermacultureUK] - NOT SEEING THE WOOD FROM THE
> TREES
>
> Forwarded from Mark Fisher to UK Permaculture list-

>> What was disturbing was the personalisation of the issues in both pieces
>> around the character of Bill Mollison, and it is inevitably thus. I am
>> never
>> happy raising individuals on pedestals (but still have a very soft spot for
>> the late Geoff Hamilton). Permaculture always runs a risk from this and it
>> is
>> not helpful that there are continuing rumbles that Mollison is becoming
>> somewhat heavy handed (Toby says he was threatened with a copyright suit
>> over
>> the use of Permaculture in his book title). This throws the future
>> development of Permaculture into discussion for me.

In Australia, too, critics have commented on permaculture by personalising
their criticism on Bill Mollison. Frequently, however, it has been Bill who
has been the target of their comments. This is because he has shown, over
the years, the impatient personality common to many innovative people and
has criticised professionals and their work (such as comments on the
'Aboriginal industry', bankers etc) as well as individuals. This has put
some people offside and, in doing so, his role in the development of what
is an innovative approach to design has been sidelined.

Another source of criticism of permaculture stems from people in the
professions who see permaculture trying to appeal to them but find it
'unprofessional' because they perceive a lack of evidential data about the
performance of the system, no central body representing the system (leading
to confusion as to who 'represents' permaculture and how to community with
permaculturists) and nowhere they can see the results of the implementation
of permaculture ideas (these are their comments, not necessarily the
realities).

>> I am struck by the example of Linux, the open access computer operating
>> system that gains strength by its users modifying and developing it, and
>> freely distributing the revisions - all with the blessing of its
>> originator.

This surely was the original ideology of permaculture. Bill used to speak
of 'itinerant teachers' who, after doing a PDC, would go out to offer design
courses to spread the practice and engage in individual or community
projects.

In Australia, this worked to a reasonable degree, especially during the
early days of permaculture. Today, however, the work environment as well as
the social and administrative environments is different and to some extent
this inhibits this means of spreading permaculture except than through the
community sector. Even here, however, the late-990's brought an intrusion of
ideas from the business sector into the workings of community organisations,
with the result that they are now more careful of who they pay attention and
give credibility to.

Ideally, the Linux approach is amenable to community-based practice and has
much to commend it.

>> And, in addition, I sat through a talk recently by Chris Baines that rested
>> on the thesis that planting more trees on agricultural land would increase
>> water infiltration and thus manage better the heavy rains and floods of the
>> previous autumn. This is not rocket science to a permaculturist!

This is not new information to progressive Australian agriculturists.
Government, Landcare groups and textbooks extoll the practice of tree
planting to reduce this country's massive problem with dryland salinity.

...Russ Grayson