permaculture - RE: The meagre harvest of yield

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "souscayrous" <souscayrous@wanadoo.fr>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: The meagre harvest of yield
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 21:46:23 +0100

I hadn't meant to re-ignite the 'science' argument and would rather drop the
offending word in the interests of discussion.
Methodological reduction, rather, the highly successful technique of the
physical sciences, where explanation has been 'reduced' to ever more minute
entities, is the underlying thrust of my initial post. The holism of
permaculture does not fit well into the atomism of pure yield. Too much is
lost.

Honestly Toby I do not think we are so very far apart. I read and generally
respond positively to the common sense of your posts. Perhaps it boils down
to your more pragmatic outlook...and yet; pragmatism requires an unmoving
world on which we can get a secure grasp. I am not so sanguine, every time
I think I understand and reach out to grasp the solidity of the world, the
more it flows through my hand like water.
It is for that reason that I wrote in my original post:

>Scientific research is the paradigm of evaluation in our society and indeed
>we are vulnerable to its conclusions, *but*, we must not forget that
>scientific practices are also culturally constructed and our efforts must
be
>channelled into changing the parameters by which success is calibrated.

This is not the dichotomy of "science and spirit" as you write, I am all too
aware of the prevailing dualism in western thought. These words were meant
to address the ever-changing nature of the world; the means of scientific
enquiry included, and offers another form of gauging yield that is not
reduced to poundage of produce. Put simply, I meant to suggest that
permaculture should be at the forefront of changing opinion at all levels so
that when yield was discussed it was not confined to the limiting
conceptions of Greg Williams (and what I see as our knee-jerk reaction in
responding within that conceptual framework where our holistic goals will
eventually be extinguished), but would grow to include a farming systems
technique of improving biodiversity, soil health, the socio-economic
situation of the local community, personal pleasure and the myriad of other
benefits that flow from a well designed project.

It is not that they get you asking the wrong questions but giving the wrong
answers (after Thomas Pynchon).

Toby, I have not responded to your first and last paragraphs because I think
they unfairly caricature my initial post.

Souscayrous