permaculture - Homegrown genocide coming to a field near you?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: "undisclosed recipient:." <"undisclosed recipient:."@mindspring.com>
  • Subject: Homegrown genocide coming to a field near you?
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 12:47:27 -0500

Scientists Create GM Corn Which Prevents Human Conception
By Robin McKie, Science Editor
The Observer - London 9-9-1

Scientists have created the ultimate GM crop: contraceptive
corn. Waiving fields of maize may one day save the world
from overpopulation.

The pregnancy prevention plants are the handiwork of the San

Diego biotechnology company Epicyte, where researchers
have discovered a rare class of human antibodies that attack

sperm.

By isolating the genes that regulate the manufacture of
these
antibodies, and by putting them in corn plants, the company
has created tiny horticultural factories that make
contraceptives.

"We have a hothouse filled with corn plants that make
anti-sperm antibodies," said Epicyte president Mitch Hein.

"We have also created corn plants that make antibodies
against the herpes virus, so we should be able to make a
plant-based jelly that not only prevents pregnancy but also
blocks the spread of sexual disease."

Contraceptive corn is based on research on the rare
condition,
immune infertility, in which a woman makes antibodies that
attack sperm.

"Essentially, the antibodies are attracted to surface
receptors
on the sperm," said Hein. "They latch on and make each sperm

so heavy it cannot move forward. It just shakes about as if
it
was doing the lambada."

Normally, biologists use bacteria to grow human proteins.
However, Epicyte decided to use corn because plants have
cellular structures that are much more like those of humans,

making them easier to manipulate.

The company, which says it will not grow the maize near
other crops, says it plans to launch clinical trials of the
corn
in a few months.

Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 2001

  • Homegrown genocide coming to a field near you?, Keith Johnson, 01/09/2002