permaculture - Re: indigenous knowledge

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "keller" <ak.and.ak@on-line.de>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: indigenous knowledge
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 19:57:43 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: John Schinnerer <eco_living@yahoo.com>

> all a combo of noble and ignorant, wise and foolish...though none of us
> so far have been wise enough to avoid overpopulating in the long run...
> :-o

The Ladakh people maybe? They had a rather stable and nonviolent culture for
several centuries (I remember a TV program that stated they had no prison
and no case of murder in 700 years). The trick there seems to have been to
allways send some of the people into monastries.

Maybe the Aboriginals also. At least they have been living in Australia for
quite some time, as it seems without a population explosion. Don't know how
they achieved that. I recall reading something about a system of taboos that
limited marriage possibilities and resulted in stable population (I think I
read it in R.M.W. Dixon's book "The languages of Australia", but I am not
sure).

Andreas

  • Re: indigenous knowledge, John Schinnerer, 01/09/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: indigenous knowledge, keller, 01/09/2002