permaculture - Re: living machines

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Steve Bonney" <sustainableearth.steve@verizon.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: living machines
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 19:39:47 -0500

Robyn,

Thanks for the additional info. I am going to build one on
my farm. I have the John Todd info on living machines,
but experiential knowledge (which I highly value)
is not readily accessible, since living machines are rare here.
Cleaning the grease trap was the very worst job anyone
could be assigned while on KP in the army. When I owned
a restaurant, we avoided a grease trap by not having a
deep fryer. Which brings me to the question. Are you able
to intercept or emilinate the grease before it reaches the
septic system? This would be a much more palatable task
and the grease could then be composted.
Steve

Steve Bonney
Sustainable Earth
a not-for-profit membership organization dedicated to the
development of sustainable family farming systems
and local food systems
100 Georgton Ct.
W. Lafayette, IN 47906
(765) 463-9366