permaculture - Re: living machines

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <permed@nor.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: living machines
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 01 02:12:36 -0000

>Very interesting and very cool. I commend you on the
>progress you have advanced. What is the first stage of
>the process where the effluent enters (comparable to a
>septic tank) where primary digestion occurs? And do the solids pass through
>a grinder before entering this phase?
The flush toilet & kitchen wastewater goes diectly into a standard 1000
litre septic tank where the solids settle out - no grinding or
pre-treatment here. The waste water the gravity feeds into the reedbeds.
We don't have one of those appaling grinding things in the sink as all
our solid kitchen scraps go to the chickens or worm farm.

The other system has a simple 2-chamber grease trap for greywater before
it flows into the reedbeds - once again no grinder. I do have to clean
the accumulated muck off the top of the grease trap once or twice a year
and process it through a rapid compost heap.
Robyn