permaculture - Re: Living Machines

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Mark Krawczyk" <markkrawczyk@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Living Machines
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 17:07:48

Dear Steve,
I have limited experience in living machines of the John Todd variety. I maintained a living machine that was set up for aquaculture in Burlington, Vermont for about a year.
Though the intent was different, the concepts are more or less the same. For these contained systems to work, at least as I see it, the most important component is to develop a stable flow through tanks that each have somewhat 'specialized' functions. Aeration and surface area are also of great importance. The engineering of such a system is not difficult, as you can more or less design them to fit your own needs. I know that my response has been quite vague and this is primarily because I do not have much experience in the design/implementation of these systems for wastewater treatment. Despite this, Ocean Arks is located in Burlington, and I have a good friend who has quite a bit of experience who could probably help to at least get you started. His name is Brad Melzer and his e-mail is JokerBard@aol.com - just let him know that I referred you to him.

I hope that this may be of some help to you. Good luck!

mark