permaculture - Re: plant DB - startup

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Elijah Smith" <elijah@hilobay.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: plant DB - startup
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 09:42:05 -1000

In a former life (and still now and then, to make ends meet) I was a hotshot
web/database development guy - Perl to SQL to ASP to XML, the works. I
thought I had left that all behind, but this is way too cool not to keep
involved in.

I would love to create/contribute to/criticize this project, where I can be
helpful - which is probably datamodeling and coding. I don't really care
about infrastructure, so I'll let those that do care battle it out. I like
SQL, I like OODBs, I like just about any scripting language you care to
name. Not to up on C++ lately but enough to screw things up :).

When we would do projects, back where I used to do projects like this, we'd
start with a lot of questions posed to the client or potential user or
marketing dildo or whatnot - basically -

- What do you want this system to be used for?
- What particular tasks do you want to do with this system?
etc.

and from there get both a data model (Plants, Relationships, Guilds, etc)
and workflow (look up a plant, click on "Companion Plants" or "Known
Guilds", etc etc).

And maybe I missed it but this is the part I haven't heard much of. I would
be willing to try to come up with a list of good questions, and start posing
them, but I'd rather not if anyone else wants to instead (I'm sorta slammed
for time right now... )

Anyway - comments?

Also - maybe a different mailing list is in order - with summary reports to
this one every once in a while? Then we can get really nerdy.

Elijah