permaculture - Re: Pasturing chickens

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Gerry Hawkes" <ghawkes@sover.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pasturing chickens
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 20:44:16 -0600

Title: Re: Pasturing chickens
Thanks Claude,

This is most helpful.  I may not be able to do all that you suggest, but will certainly aim toward a variety of plantings.

We have been totally free ranging our chickens on worn out pasture and just confining them at night for their own safetyThey have been free to wander from the pasture to a wet wooded area of alders and willows and actually spend about half their time in the wooded area.

After years of thinking about upgrading the pasture, I am finally getting to it and was thinking of reseeding to a mix of clovers come spring, but thought I would ask around first.  My definition of best is multifaceted, meaning what is relatively easy to establish and maintain, builds up the soil and provides good nutrition for the chickens.

Speaking of using peas for building the soil, I have been using perennial Lathco flatpea to rebuild soil on another area of hillside pasture that would only grow sparse grass before, but now grows flatpea so densely that it is difficult to walk through.  A few years ago I did a non-chemical vegetation control demonstration project for Green Mountain Power under their transmission lines in Waitsfield and had excellent success planting flatpea in stands so thick that woody brush would not regrow.

About the most exciting and gruesome action I have ever seen was when we (meaning the chickens, my daughter and I) discovered a nest of mice in the winter chicken house.

Watching chickens sure is a fascinating activity.  Back about 14 years ago, when our son was only 2, our whole family was sitting on the deck one Sunday afternoon just watching the chickens.  We were sitting so still that a spider spun down from the overhang right down onto my son's head.  Immediately he recited,  "Little Miss Muffet sat on a tuffet eating her curves away" .  As you can see we had not taught him cheese making (nor did we teach him this version of the nursery rhyme).

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to send me this information.

- Gerry