permaculture - Re: creating online plant database

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: creating online plant database
  • Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2001 21:38:24 -0600

> Careful, we'll be asking you to re-create PFAF if we generate enough
> suggestions... ;-)
>
> Complete cross-referencing of common and Latin names would be nice to
> have.
> Hardiness will be in degrees F and/or C?

this is geared toward plants that we grow in wisconsin... so F is the answer
that.

> Other thoughts, mostly for perennials:
> growth pattern/rate (e.g. typ. size/shape and time to get there)
> time to bearing
> years of bearing
> longevity
> shade percentage under canopy
> N-fixer or not?
> Soil/nutrient preferences

these are good suggestions but I wonder if they are necessary for the
particular
application, which will be just a section of our website where visitors can
look to
see what we are growing. I think it will be a lot of general users as
opposed to
visitors who are looking for specific design information. & in particular to
use it
as a way for interns here to get a good handle on what we have going in our
different
planting projects.

> OK, I'll stop now...
> What technology are you using to implement the online DB?

mySQL & php 4

thanks for yr answers John

mIEKAL