permaculture - how to think about rubble

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: how to think about rubble
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 17:15:44 -0600

For the last 4 years or so I & a few others at Dreamtime have been building a
bio-diverse sculpture park on one of our properties in West Lima WI. I've
just
managed to acquire an adjoining property as well. The total landmass of our
park is
approximately a 1/2 acre. Originally on that space there were 3 houses,
which were
removed in the typical country way. They were pushed over with a tractor &
burned &
what was left (a massive amount of broken glass, metal, refuse) was
half-heartedly
buried.

Try as I might, I am unable to think of the endless pieces of broken glass in
positive & creative ways ... its unconceivable that it would ever all be
removed...
& there is lotsa good organic matter mixed in as the lots are covered with the
founder's tree, planted in the year the town was founded, a black willow & a
smattering of elms, sugar maples & walnuts. Ive also just planted goldenseal &
ginseng in some beds (after "weeding" out the glass). & hoping in the next
couple
years to plant native carniverous sundews & pitcher plants in a created
mini-bog.
Im wondering how others might approach this, if nothing else, as a mental
exercise.

mIEKAL aND

THE DRIFTLESS GROTTO OF WEST LIMA
http://dreamtimevillage.org/grotto/index.html