permaculture - Re: how to think about rubble

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mikal Jakubal <mjakubal@asis.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: how to think about rubble
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 06:50:27 -0800

Hi,
I was faced with a similar situation when I got my place. I decided to go
ahead and get rid of all the glass and other garbage in the soil by sifting
it out. I excavated the bed areas then set up a 3' x 6' frame covered with
1/2" hardware cloth and set at a 45-degree or so angle. The dirt was
shovelled onto the top of the screen so the fines would fall through (back
into the bed) as the mass rolled down. I used the debris, clods and rocks
at the bottom of the screen for fill elsewhere. Lots of work, but you can
mix layers of compost (etc.) in as you go and end up with great, deep-dug,
rock- and glass-free beds.

Mikal