permaculture - Re: Strange letter from Nigeria

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Loren Davidson <loren@farwalker.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Strange letter from Nigeria
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 07:49:29 -0700

At 02:40 PM 10/23/01 +0100, Ute Bohnsack wrote:
Dear all,
I just received a somewhat obscure letter purportedly from a presidential
advisor in Nigeria, who is recruiting consultants to set up permaculture centers
in Nigeria.
I copy the letter below.

I can't say 100%...but for a great many years, there have been numerous scams with similar wording out of Nigeria. This is a different spiel than what I've seen before, both in regular mail and in email, so it may be legit. But unfortunately, I'm suspicious.

The way the scam works is that the person(s) in Nigeria will offer you a large sum of money to help them, and will offer to wire you the money if you give them the appropriate info on your account, i.e. your account number and routing number. Once they have this info, they can drain your account and/or use the info for creating fraudulent credit cards, etc.. If you receive this sort of request, DO NOT give them this information; contact your local postal fraud authorities and the ISPs belonging to these email addresses.

It would be a real shame if this were a scam. It would mean that Permaculture has been recognized on the world scene...but not in the way we would like it to be, just as a source of additional marks.

Build soil,

Loren

Loren Davidson Permaculturist, philosopher, writer
loren@farwalker.com http://www.earthspring.org/loren/
AIM: loren334 ICQ: 65291610
"We have to create the future, or others will do it for us" - Gen. S. Ivanova, ret.